Shillong, January 03, 2017: One of the top museums in India and Asia, Don Bosco Museum located at Mawlai in Shillong received almost one lakh visitors throughout the year in 2016.
Based on the visitors’ statistic from 2nd January to 30th December 2016, there were a total of 95,977 visitors both from domestic and abroad. Of the total visitors, 65352 were domestic adults, 1032 foreign adults, 21304 domestic school students, 8141 university and college students from India and 158 were foreign students.
There is an increased of about 2-30,000 visitors as compared to year 2015, when the museum received a total of about 70,000 visitors.
Consecutive to the previous year, Don Bosco Museum also received the TripAdvisor® Certificate of Excellence 2016 and was also featured among the top 10 museums in India and the best 25 museums in Asia for 2016, honouring it with the Travellers’ Choice award.
Fr. Joseph Puthenpurakal, director of the museum stated that, “Despite the growing publicity of Don Bosco Museum, more initiatives on modernisation of the museum need to be taken up to increase its footfalls and also to promote the cultural heritages of the indigenous peoples and to boost the untapped tourism potential in India’s North East.”
- The Shillong Times – Nearly a lakh visitors thronged Don Bosco Museum in 2016 (p. 3, 04/01/2017)
- The Meghalaya Guardian – 1 lakh visitors to city museum in 2016 (Frontpage, 04/01/2017)
- Mawphor – Jan poi Shi lak ngut ki nong jngohkai pyrthei ha Don Bosco Museum tang ha u snem ba la lah (Frontpage, 04/01/2017)
- Highland Post – Mawlai museum attracts nearly one lakh visitors in 2016 (Frontpage, 04/01/2017)
- U Peitngor – Sdang paw bha ka Don Bosco Museum, jan kot lak kibab leit jngoh ha u snem 2016 (Frontpage, 05/01/2017)
- The Sentinel – Around one lakh tourists visited Don Bosco museum in 2016 (04/01/2017)
- Nagaland Post – Almost one lakh visitors to Don Bosco Museum in 2016 (04/01/2017)
- The North East Today – Don Bosco Museum gets over 1 lakh visitors in 2016; to continue promoting Northeast’s Tourism (04/01/2017)
- Eastern Chronicle – Don Bosco Museum received around one lakh visitors in 2016 (Frontpage, 04/01/2017)
- Echo of Arunachal – Don Bosco Museum gets nearly one lakh visitors in 2016 (04/01/2017)
- The Sangai Express – One lakh visited Don Bosco Museum in Shillong last year (p. 3, 05/01/2017)